Tools to Help You Obtain Attendance Approval
Keeping yourself fresh with knowledge and ahead of the game is key to advancing in your career. By attending Cable-Tec Expo®, you will return to your employer armed with the latest products and solutions. In some cases you may need to justify your attendance at the engineering event of year and below are tips on getting employer support for attending:
- Focus on what you will specifically bring back to the organization as return for the investment.
- Upon your return to the office prepare a presentation of what you learned so that your colleagues will benefit from your attendance.
- Share the workshop schedule and speaker handouts with your colleagues. As an attendee, you have unlimited access to the featured speaker presentations and white papers.
- Be ready with a plan that shows who will cover for you while you are attending the conference.
- Be sure to check out the registration page where all the various rates are listed to see if you qualify for any of the lower rates or discounts (a pre-registration discount rate is available and SCTE members save even more).
Below, you’ll find a “justification letter” template—a letter to your supervisor explaining all of the benefits you’ll get from attending SCTE•ISBE Cable-Tec Expo® and how those benefits will make you a better employee and help advance your organization. This general template will get you started while allowing you to customize it to you and your company’s particular needs.
Letter To Supervisor
Dear <supervisor’s name>,
I would like to attend the SCTE•ISBE Cable-Tec Expo® 2018, the premiere cable telecommunications engineering event, on October 22–25, in Atlanta, GA. The conference will enable me to attend a number of educational sessions that are directly applicable to my work and will allow me to network with a variety of cable professionals and industry colleagues from around the world who are facing (and solving) challenges similar to ours.
I have identified a number of educational sessions, which will allow me to gain knowledge in areas of <fill in topic areas> that could immediately be put to use with <project(s) you are working on>. The presentations are facilitated by both leading industry experts and cable telecommunications colleagues who have faced similar challenges. I chose each of these presentations because it is directly related to an issue we are dealing with currently. Getting the information in this educational format will greatly reduce the research time and costs normally incurred in researching the topics.
I am seeking approval for the registration fee, travel expenses to the conference and expenses during the conference. The total costs for the conference are . The detailed cost breakdown is listed in the paragraph below.
Here is the breakdown of travel costs:
Conference Fee: <$xxxx>
Pre-conference Symposium Fee: <$xxxx>
The total costs associated with attending this conference are <$xxxx>.
The opportunity for me to develop better contacts and gain knowledge in specific areas of <your area of expertise> makes my attendance at the SCTE•ISBE Cable-Tec Expo® 2018 a wise investment, which will yield rich dividends for <name of your organization>.
<your name here>